There’s nothing like food that takes us back to warm, happy times with family and friends. No wonder there’s a whole realm of recipes collectively called ‘Comfort Food’. We hope these tasty dishes might soothe our souls and bring forth a deeply felt ‘Yum!’
50g soft light brown sugar
100g short grain rice
1 litre full-cream milk
Zest of ½ a lemon
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ vanilla pod, cut open lengthways
150ml double cream
2 tbsp sweet sherry, preferably Pedro Ximinez (optional)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 140C.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat. Add the sugar. Stir and cook for a few minutes, then tip in the rice, and stir to coat. Cook until the rice has swelled slightly, stirring continuously.
4. Add the milk and stir well.
5. Add the lemon zest, bay leaf, spices and a pinch of salt, then pour in the cream and sherry (if using) and bring to a simmer.
6. Transfer to a buttered oven dish and bake the pudding for about 2 hours, until it has set, but is still slightly wobbly. Allow it to cool a bit and serve warm.